Thursday 9 October 2008

Mum am i...

Fat? Is the question i was asked today. Not by my oldest, nearly teenager, nor by my middle, nearly 12 year old, both girls! But by my only just 9 year old..son?
OMG what on earth has happened to make my lovely little guy think he is less than the total perfect dude i see? Other kids is what happened. Other kids who are all slim have decided to point out to my little guy that he is the F word. To say i was taken aback is an understatement!
I told him he was just fine. That Dad and I are not petite slender people, but are in fact broad shouldered, tall well built people so how could he possibly be waif like?
He says i am just saying that "cos i'm his Mum and i have to!"
So we are going to the doctor on Monday! (OMG i'm reeling on this one.) With the intention of a weigh and measure and having the Dr. tell him he is just where he should be. Poor kid. I guessed it was a matter of time before i posted something like this but i never imagined it would be about my son! There went the rule book again!

Looks just right to me!

4 comments:

Steph at Problem Solvin' Mom said...

Oh how awful for the both of you, I'm sure your heart just broke hearing those words! And how sad for your son that he is exposed to children who would say such mean, hurtful, and obviously off base things! My heart goes out to you, please keep us posted on how the dr. visit goes.

Sorry I haven't been a very good commenter lately. Have been super busy at work and it's cramping my bloggy style! ;)

carrhop said...

Wow. It is just stunning how quickly the body-image-thing starts. What a bummer that he is dealing with this--and I'm thankful that he is comfortable in talking with you about this--and I think it's a great idea to have the doc backup what you're telling him--that he is just right!

Thanks for your sweet comment on 3 of 8's soccer pic--he gets those eyes from his daddy!

Blessings!

Jen said...

This is happening at 9 already?!? Unbelievable!!

Mr. D, I think you look great - perfect for your age. I am sure the doctor will tell you just what a strapping young man you are. (Such a great idea to take him, Mum.)

*Great picture, btw!

CaMaTaDaLisMa said...

Isn't it sad when our young children start asking us questions like that? I had my 8 year old niece tell me the other day that she used to be 60 lbs and now she's only 50 because she stopped eating very much...and she smiled as she said it.

The girl is a twig. And my daugher - her cousin - is fit but definitely more solid than her...and I KNOW she'll have issues about that eventually.

Oy! Great post. Thanks for commenting on mine the other day. I love getting to know other bloggers and I love your style of writing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails